Distance is the main discipline in the dock diving sport. The game is how far can your dog jump. This is measured where the base of the tail enters the water. We use a certified judge who has been trained to measure the distance. There can be one or two handlers on the dock. If using two, one usually holds the dog in place revving them up, then releasing them while the other handler throws the toy. If only using one handler, the dog is usually in a sit stay position until the handler releases the dog and throws the toy. The dock is 8′ x 40′ and sits 2′ above the water. The entire dock can be used or less if you choose. You get 2 jumps per “splash”. The best distance from your 2 jumps is your final score for that splash. There are usually 6 splashes in a weekend. The top 6 dogs in each division then go on to the finals to compete for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in their division. You need a minimum of 2 splashes to participate in the finals.
Dock jumping is not just for retrievers, it is open to all breeds.
- A minimum of 2 splashes are required to participate in the finals.
- Dog must be at least 6 months old to participate in competition.
- Dog must jump with no assistance from the handler.
- Check-in time is no later than 30 minutes prior to splash.
- Mandatory handlers meeting 15 minutes prior to splash.
- Two (2) handlers are allowed on the dock.
- You may use the entire forty (40) foot dock.
- Ninety (90) seconds per jump, per splash.
- Two (2) jumps back to back per splash.
- Distance is measured where the base of the tail enters the water. Manual judging (no camera).
- Wait for the current handler to have their dog leashed and down the exit stairs before going up the entrance stairs.
- *Finals: Top 6 dogs for the weekend in each division will go onto the finals.
- Ties – In the event of a tie, we will use the second jump in that round. If that happens to be the same, we will go to the previous rounds score.
- Toys – must be floatable. No live, once live, or food of any kind.
Also see Facility Rules.
*Southtown K9 dogs will be playing, but will be excluded from any 1st, 2nd, or 3rd placements. In the event any of these dogs are in the finals, they will still play, but we will include a total of 6 non-Southtown K9 dogs. The Southtown K9 dogs are: Jackson, Gunner, Tucker, Ashton, Lindy Lou, and Xena.